The East Coast Trail Guide offers maps, photos, and a detailed description of the entire East Coast Trail, including Silver Mine Head Path.
Curious? Have a look at the free sample chapter available on iBooks.
Please don’t confuse the East Coast Trail Guide with the basic maps and trail descriptions that have always been available on this blog; those will remain available right here:
Silver Mine Head Path runs from Torbay to Middle Cove.
Check the map for the following details:
- The trail is 2.3 km in length.
- The north trailhead is at the end of Motion Drive in Torbay.
- The south trailhead is in the meadow above the beach in Middle Cove.
- Check the map for designated parking areas.
- Get a bird’s eye view of Silver Mine Head Path with Bing Maps.
This trail is another fairly recent (2011) addition to the East Coast Trail, it starts on Middle Cove beach, follows the stepping stones up into the meadow and then continues into the forest. The trail is very easy to follow, there are no major or even minor elevation changes but you do have to pay attention to the edge, because there are parts of this trail that have substantial erosion damage.
Halfway down the trail the path enters privately owned land, just follow the boardwalk and continue to Torbay. There is no easy way to cross Motion River (aka North Pond Brook), so either be careful making your way to the other side or else this is a good point to just turn around. On the other side of Motion River lies the open meadow of Torbay Motion, which is a great place to watch whales in summer.
Scenic spots on Silver Mine Head Path:
- Middle Cove beach is a beautiful pebble beach.
- There’s a small sea cave below the trail, check the map for its location.
- Motion River hits the ocean as an attractive waterfall.
- Torbay Motion is a great place for whale watching.
Berries you can find on Silver Mine Head Path include blueberries, raspberries, cranberries and crackerberries.
Photos and stories featuring Silver Mine Head Path:
- Humpback in Middle Cove - June 2016
- Kingfishers are nesting - May 2016
- Kryptonight - March 2016
- Spring run-off waterfalls - April 2014
- Big ice in Middle Cove - February 2014
- Boxing Day in the Middle Cove snow - December 2013
- Snowy Middle Cove beach - December 2013
- A strange February 1st - February 2013
- RDF on the ECT - October 2012
- Bergy bit in Middle Cove - April 2012
- Feels like -26 - January 2012
- Outer Cove to Torbay - September 2011
- First day of summer - June 2011
- Silver Mine Head Path on Bing Maps - May 2011
- A stroll on Silver Mine Head Path - May 2011
- Short & Sweet: 7 easy hikes - April 2011
- Soggy Foggy Trail - October 2010
- Middle Cove trail - October 2009