The East Coast Trail Guide is a digital trail guide and photo book filled with information about Newfoundland’s amazing East Coast Trail, including Silver Mine Head Path.
A free sample of Newfoundland’s #1 hiking guide is available on Apple Books.
Don’t have Apple Books? There’s lots of trail information on this blog too. Below you’ll find a basic map, a quick trail description, and trail stories and photos from hikes in every season:
Silver Mine Head Path runs from Torbay to Middle Cove.
Check the map for the following details:
- The trail is 2.3 km in length.
- The north trailhead is at the end of Motion Drive in Torbay.
- The south trailhead is in the meadow above the beach in Middle Cove.
- Check the map for designated parking areas.
- Bing Maps used to offer a unique aerial perspective of Silver Mine Head Path.
This trail is another fairly recent (2011) addition to the East Coast Trail, it starts on Middle Cove beach, follows the stepping stones up into the meadow and then continues into the forest. The trail is very easy to follow, there are no major or even minor elevation changes but you do have to pay attention to the edge, because there are parts of this trail that have substantial erosion damage.
Halfway down the trail the path enters privately owned land, just follow the boardwalk and continue to Torbay. There is no easy way to cross Motion River (aka North Pond Brook), so either be careful making your way to the other side or else this is a good point to just turn around. On the other side of Motion River lies the open meadow of Torbay Motion, which is a great place to watch whales in summer.
Scenic spots on Silver Mine Head Path:
- Middle Cove beach is a beautiful pebble beach.
- There’s a small sea cave below the trail, check the map for its location.
- Motion River hits the ocean as an attractive waterfall.
- Torbay Motion is a great place for whale watching.
Berries you can find on Silver Mine Head Path include blueberries, raspberries, cranberries and crackerberries.
Featured stories on Silver Mine Head Path:
More photos and stories on Silver Mine Head Path:
- What’s happening in Middle Cove? - December 2017
- Humpback in Middle Cove - June 2016
- Kingfishers are nesting - May 2016
- Spring run-off waterfalls - April 2014
- Boxing Day in the Middle Cove snow - December 2013
- RDF on the ECT - October 2012
- Humpback show at Torbay Motion - June 2012
- Bergy bit in Middle Cove - April 2012
- Chilly forecast feels like -26° - January 2012
- Outer Cove to Torbay on a hot day - September 2011
- First day of summer, so much fog - June 2011
- Silver Mine Head Path on Bing Maps - May 2011
- A new trail: Silver Mine Head Path - May 2011
- Soggy Foggy Trail - October 2010
- Middle Cove trail - October 2009