The East Coast Trail Guide is a digital trail guide and photo book filled with information about Newfoundland’s amazing East Coast Trail, including Stiles Cove Path.
A free sample of Newfoundland’s #1 hiking guide is available on Apple Books.
Don’t have Apple Books? There’s lots of trail information on this blog too. Below you’ll find a basic map, a quick trail description, and trail stories and photos from hikes in every season:
Stiles Cove Path runs from Pouch Cove to Flatrock.
Check the map for the following details:
- The trail is 15.1 km in length.
- The north trailhead is halfway down Bank Road in Pouch Cove.
- The south trailhead is at the end of Hickey’s Lane in Flatrock.
- Check the map for designated parking areas.
- There is easy access to Shoe Cove from Diamonds Road.
- There is easy access to Stiles Cove from Satellite Road.
- There is easy access to Red Head from Red Head Road.
Save for a few barren headlands, beautiful Stiles Cove Path runs through a quiet coastal forest. Your companions on this trail are mostly squirrels, hares, eagles and a few moose; you may not see all of them but they’ll surely see you as you hike on by.
Ocean viewpoints are scattered along the trail, providing regular rest stops with amazing views in every season season. Summer-time is especially good: you will hear the whales breathe as you are walking in the shaded forest, and when you reach the open viewpoints you’ll have a great opportunity to have your lunch break in plain view of these oceanic giants.
Scenic spots on Stiles Cove Path:
- Spout Cove Falls (Dog’s Hole Falls) is a waterfall that drops from the forested cliffs straight into the ocean.
- Stiles Cove is the namesake of the trail, it’s a big and beautiful secluded cove with steep cliffs and waterfalls. In winter you’ll find ice climbers scaling the frozen falls and walls, down to the otherwise isolated beach.
- Red Head offers two treats, one of them is Red Head Cove, a place where many whales congregate in summer, the other is Acrophobia, a dramatic vertical rock face on the southeast side; venture too close to this edge and you’ll see it drops 60 metres straight down, an unnerving view for sure.
- Whirly Pool Falls (Big River Falls) is a wild waterfall only a stone’s throw away from the south trailhead, you can get to it with a bare minimum of hiking.
Berries you can find on Stiles Cove Path include crackerberries, blueberries, raspberries and cranberries.
Featured stories on Stiles Cove Path:
More photos and stories on Stiles Cove Path:
- Spectre in the fog - October 2019
- Spring waterfall in Spout Cove - April 2019
- Iceberg underneath a starry sky - May 2017
- Otter slide in Spout Cove - March 2017
- Moonlit icefall - February 2017
- Sun and snow on Stiles Cove Path - January 2017
- Dawn on Red Head - September 2016
- Morning hike to Black Head North - July 2016
- Frozen reverse waterfall - March 2016
- Flash freeze this weekend - February 2016
- Water colour around icebergs - May 2014
- Red Head iceberg - May 2014
- Welcome back, whales! - May 2014
- Icebergs in Bauline and Stiles Cove - April 2014
- January rain and thaw - January 2014
- Tracks in the snow - December 2013
- Departures - October 2013
- Seal in Red Head Cove - May 2013
- Little penguins of winter - February 2013
- Ice climbers, come on down! - January 2013
- Outside at last - January 2013
- Flatrock to Red Head - November 2012
- Last days of summer - September 2012
- Back to berries - August 2012
- Mr. Blue Sky - May 2012
- Iceberg in Pouch Cove - May 2012
- Shoe Cove to Spout Cove - March 2012
- Distant iceberg from Red Head - March 2012
- Fresh snow on Stiles Cove Path - January 2012
- Ice on the trail - November 2011
- Berries on Stiles Cove Path - August 2011
- Summer sunrise in Flatrock - July 2011
- Departures - June 2011
- Undeveloped Stiles Cove Path - March 2011
- A little hike to Stiles Cove - November 2010
- Finbacks near Stiles Cove - August 2010
- Free as a bird on vacation - July 2010
- Watching whales from Red Head - July 2010
- A night at Stiles Cove - May 2010
- Stiles Cove, the movie - March 2010
- Shoe Cove to Black Head North - February 2010
- Together for 12.5 years - November 2009
- Flatrock waves with Marije - October 2009
- First October days - October 2009
- Sunrise with Rogier - August 2009
- Stiles Cove time-lapse - June 2009
- Sugarloaf & Big River trail - April 2009
- Sunshine at Stiles Cove - February 2009
- Sunrise with Marije at Stiles Cove - December 2008
- First hikes on the East Coast Trail - December 2008