The East Coast Trail Guide is a digital trail guide and photo book filled with information about Newfoundland’s amazing East Coast Trail, including Father Troy’s Trail.
A free sample of Newfoundland’s #1 hiking guide is available on Apple Books.
Don’t have Apple Books? There’s lots of trail information on this blog too. Below you’ll find a basic map, a quick trail description, and trail stories and photos from hikes in every season:
Father Troy’s Trail runs from Flatrock to Torbay.
Check the map for the following details:
- The trail is 8.5 km in length.
- The north trailhead is at the end of Wade’s Lane in Flatrock.
- The south trailhead is at the end of Spray Lane in Torbay.
- Check the map for designated parking areas.
This trail is a fairly recent addition to the East Coast Trail, before its inclusion it was locally known as Gallow’s Cove Trail. Whatever the name, it’s a great trail and I’ve hiked it many times over because I live so close to it.
The trail starts out at the base of the Beamer, a barren slab of rock that juts out into the Atlantic. On the Beamer you’ll find it’s not as barren as it seemed from a distance; yes it’s austere, but quite beautiful in its simplicity. At the ‘top’ of the Beamer you’ll enjoy a great view of the waves coming in, on a blustery day those waves can easily reach 6 metres in height.
After this ‘Beamer Lookout’ the trail veers south following the high cliffs to Church Cove where a sizeable colony of kittiwakes can be found. For the best views of Church Cove take the newly constructed Church Cove Loop but be careful, this trail passes through a steep field of fallen rocks where a set of stepping stones has been cleverly placed to accommodate only the most confident hikers. After Church Cove comes Whale Cove, a great spot to see the whales in summer as they gather in the bay below.
Once you’re done watching the whales you can rejoin the old trail to Torbay, which now runs along farmer’s fields and eventually brings you all the way to Torbay Beach, before ending at Spray Lane.
Scenic spots on Father Troy’s Trail:
- The Beamer in Flatrock is barren but beautiful, offering a number of vertical rock faces to enthusiastic climbers.
- The Church Cove Loop is a marvellous new addition to this trail.
- The view from Whale Cove is spectacular in summer, if you dare to peek over the edge.
Berries you can find on Father Troy’s Trail include cranberries, blueberries, raspberries, partridgeberries, crackerberries, creeping snowberries, blackberries and chuckley pears.
Featured stories on Father Troy’s Trail:
More photos and stories on Father Troy’s Trail:
- Aquaman on the East Coast Trail - November 2018
- Whale watching from the East Coast Trail - July 2018
- Lion’s mane jellyfish - August 2016
- Dive bombing gannets - July 2016
- Running with humpbacks - June 2016
- Winter stars in Flatrock - February 2016
- Torbay iceberg at sunrise - May 2014
- May snow? - May 2014
- Iceberg in Torbay - May 2014
- Wild weather iceberg in Whale Cove - April 2014
- Spring run-off waterfalls - April 2014
- Cows along the trail - October 2013
- 2013 Capelin are rolling on Torbay beach - June 2013
- Repairs at Tappers Cove are finished - June 2013
- Three common gulls - June 2013
- Busy enjoying Spring - April 2013
- Repairs at Tappers Cove - February 2013
- Frosty sunrise on the Beamer - November 2012
- Fall weather - October 2012
- Father Troy’s Trail after tropical storm Leslie - September 2012
- Father Troy’s Trail in June - June 2012
- An iceberg in Torbay - May 2012
- Within walking distance: Father Troy - May 2012
- Stuck inside the house - April 2012
- A walk on Father Troy’s Trail - October 2011
- Sunset and moonset from Church Cove - September 2011
- Angry birds at the Beamer - July 2011
- Father Troy draws blood - June 2011
- Flatrock to Torbay - May 2011
- A wintry walk on the Beamer - March 2011
- Kittiwakes on Father Troy’s Trail - March 2011
- Wave watching in Flatrock - January 2011
- Father Troy, welcome to the fold - December 2010
- New Trails: Whale Cove & White Horse - October 2010
- Blue berry skies - August 2010
- 2010 Perseids over Newfoundland - August 2010
- Free as a bird on vacation - July 2010
- Watching wildlife in Flatrock - July 2010
- Moonrise at Church Cove - June 2010
- Five hikes on the East Coast Trail - June 2010
- Silliness at Tappers Cove - January 2010
- Torbay to Flatrock in winter time - December 2009
- Father Troy in Torbay - November 2009
- Out on the Beamer with Marije - November 2009
- Big Waves in Flatrock - October 2009
- Week 27: Dazed and Confused - July 2009
- Starstruck in Flatrock - June 2009
- Lens testing in Flatrock - May 2009
- Victoria Day with Marije - May 2009
- Spring comes to Flatrock - May 2009
- April 1st: icebergs ahead - April 2009