The East Coast Trail Guide is a digital trail guide and photo book filled with information about Newfoundland’s amazing East Coast Trail, including Blackhead Path.
A free sample of Newfoundland’s #1 hiking guide is available on Apple Books.
Don’t have Apple Books? There’s lots of trail information on this blog too. Below you’ll find a basic map, a quick trail description, and trail stories and photos from hikes in every season:
Blackhead Path runs from Blackhead to Cape Spear.
Check the map for the following details:
- The trail is 3.7 km in length.
- The west trailhead is at the end of the Blackhead Village Road in Blackhead.
- The east trailhead is just west of the small parking lot on the Cape Bay near Cape Spear.
- There is easy access to Blackhead from Cape Spear Drive.
- Bing Maps used to offer a unique aerial perspective of Blackhead Path.
This short and sweet trail connects the town of Blackhead with Cape Spear. You can hike it in just half a morning or a late afternoon, which probably accounts for some of its popularity. As a relatively easy trail, Blackhead Path is highly recommended for novice hikers who want to get a taste of the East Coast Trail.
Be forewarned that the trail does have a bit of a climb to it, reaching 120m on top of Blackhead, which rewards you with outstanding views of Cape Spear to the east and St. John’s to the west.
Scenic spots on Blackhead Path:
- The top of Blackhead has great views east and west.
Berries you can find on Blackhead Path include blueberries, partridgeberries and there are even some small patches of bakeapples.
Featured stories on Blackhead Path:
More photos and stories on Blackhead Path:
- Reverse waterfall on Blackhead Path - October 2015
- Cape Spear moonrise - September 2015
- Return to the Cape Spear iceberg - June 2014
- Iceberg arch at Cape Spear - June 2014
- Invigorating, or aggravating? - December 2013
- Morning walk on Blackhead - January 2013
- Caribbean Princess leaving St. John’s - September 2012
- Cape Spear to Small Point hike - November 2011
- Blackhead Path on Bing Maps - May 2011
- Winter is melting on Blackhead Path - March 2011
- Five hikes on the East Coast Trail - June 2010