Google has recently rolled out Street View for a small part of Newfoundland. I was already familiar with this feature back in Holland, where the city of Groningen (last place we lived) is well represented. Now, instead of me looking at Dutch streets, you can come visit us online too!
Let me give you a abbreviated list of the places I like to go which are now available through Street View:
- Spend a few minutes at Torbay beach, even though it’s closed to the public.
- Middle Cove beach is much bigger and cleaner, I go there a lot.
- Here is a lovely view of some Marine Drive scenery, on the way to work.
- Outer Cove is nice too.
- The google car didn’t make it all the way to the Ocean Sciences Centre.
- Sometimes, this is your starting point of the day.
- Afterwards, come and park your car on Signal Hill, everybody else does it.
- From the Battery you can see clear across the harbour.
- Or take a look at Signal Hill from across the Narrows.
- Here’s a pretty town with a pretty name: Quidi Vidi.
- In St. John’s, enjoy the wonderful coloured houses of Gower Street.
- Downtown St. John’s is where you go to get stuck in traffic.
- Or you can go there to get a few beers, on George Street.
- You can even see the ducks in Bowring Park.
- The Rooms is a place I want to visit some day.
- The harbour has some good views too.
- Awesome, the google car made it all the way to Cape Spear!
- And if you’re hungry, you can get some good fish & chips here.
- This is a nice place to watch the sunset in the winter.
- And when summer comes again, this is a nice sunset location too.
Now that I’m reviewing the list it almost reads like a brochure or a commercial, but that doesn’t bother me. I just think it’s nice for you to be able to have a look at the place we call home now, without flying over the Atlantic Pond.